I discovered by accident that by blowing a fan directly at the onions that I am chopping can remove tearing – 100% tear-free!!!!
This is by far the most valuable kitchen hack that I have discovered today… all by accident. Can you believe it? Ha ha ha! I am SO happy. Here’s to cheering myself on to add more onions to my dishes. Onions taste awesome and this disease-fighting food is chock-full of nutrients.
How did I discover?
Ever since Drama Queen has to stay back in school for additional classes in preparation for the students’ UPSR next year, I don’t have anyone to help me in the kitchen anymore. I have to chop onions and garlic myself. Since last week, I was in awe as to why I don’t tear up anymore each time I chop onions. Not a drop of tear. That’s unbelievable. I thought that my eyes had become immune to the tear-causing fumes from the onions. All these while, I have the table fan blowing at my direction while I cook in the kitchen.
Today I was late in dinner preparation again. I was rushing and did not turn on the table fan. While chopping onions, I ‘cried’ my eyes and nose out. Why was I tearing this time? Then I realized that the table fan had not been turned on and a eureka moment happened. I turned the fan on and almost instantaneously I stopped tearing! Like magic!!
For fans of onions, try this hack. It will help you speed up your onion-chopping chore. Even if you don’t like onions, try adding them into your dishes. Here’s why you should eat more onions…
Here’s a quick glimpse at the incredible health benefits of onions:
- The phytochemicals in onions along with their vitamin C help improve immunity.
- Onions contain chromium, which assists in regulating blood sugar.
- For centuries, onions have been used to reduce inflammation and heal infections.
- Do you enjoy sliced onions with your food? If yes, rejoice! Raw onion lowers the production of bad cholesterol (LDL), thus keeping your heart healthy.
- A powerful compound called quercetin in onions is known to play a significant role in preventing cancer.
- Got stung by a honeybee? Apply onion juice on the area for immediate relief from the pain and burning sensation.
- Onions scavenge free radicals, thereby reducing your risk of developing gastric ulcers.
- Those bright green tops of green onions are rich in Vitamin A, so do use them often.