When the hubs and I did our wedding photo shoot in a bridal studio 18 years ago, we spent the entire day there. We reached the studio at 10 a.m. and the shooting only ended 8 hours later. The hubs and I left the bridal studio feeling famished, exhausted and with achy jaw (from giving our best smiles for hours) and body. It was definitely not a pleasant experience for us.
Thus, if you are one who has no patience for spending hours on end choosing and getting in and out of gowns with thick make-up and a hair-do thickened with hair sprays and colors, you can always opt to buy your wedding dresses online.
Shopping online for your wedding dress definitely has its benefits: you do not need to wait in line, leave the house or even change out of your comfy pajamas. And while it comes with a lengthy list of pros, it can have a few drawbacks too… like those Backless Lace Wedding Dresses with Sash arriving two sizes too small.
To save yourself time and aggravation, here are some quick and handy tips for online shopping for affordable wedding dresses:
1. Know your measurements. Sizes vary depending on the brand and even the batch the products were made in. Refer to the size chart and measurements provided by the seller and you’ll also need to whip out the good old measurement tape and take note of your bust, waist hips, inseam and your preferred length of dress. If you are not sure how to do it, head to your tailor or seamstress and have them measure you. This ensures that you’ll get the most accurate measurements possible.
2. Read the reviews. Customer reviews are extremely valuable pieces of info, since they give you real perspective on the piece you’re considering. Scan for comments touching on size, fit and quality of material to get a better idea of whether an item fits true to size, or if you’ll need to size up or down.
3. Know the materials. The feel of a material is just as important as the size. There’s nothing worse than finally receiving that dress you’ve been eying for months, only to find that the fabric is not the type that you want. Since you can’t touch the fabric and often can’t distinguish what the texture of a piece is like just by looking at a photo, it’s a good idea to familiarize yourself with the fabric content. Get to know what satin, chiffon, silk, ice cotton, gauze, etc. feels like.
4. Read thoroughly the return policies. Even if you’ve followed all of the above steps, there still might be the occasional disappointment. Be prepared and familiarize yourself with the return policies before you order. Things to look for: free returns, how long you have to send the product back, whether or not you can make exchanges, if returns can be made in store and if there is a restocking fee.
5. Opt for a reliable website such as Dressywomen for purchasing wedding dresses.
6. Watch the videos. If there is a video of a model wearing the gown that you want to buy, always watch it. You’ll get a good idea of the weight and quality of the fabric as they walk.
7. If you are also looking for elegant and cheap mother of the bride dresses like the ones below for your mum or mother-in-law, get them to sit together with you at the computer when you browse the websites. Discuss on the color, design, theme and sizes of the dresses together to save time.
Try not to be a last minute shopper. Plan the purchase of your wedding dresses at least 6 months before your big day. In case you are not too satisfied with the dresses, you can still return them to the seller and find alternative dresses. With proper planning and sufficient time to shop for your wedding dresses, the photo shooting and wedding reception will be a beautiful memory to last for a life time.