Every now and then, I’d suffer from constipation. I’ve got a handful of real handy tips from my ‘Alternative Cures’ book by Reader’s Digest which I’d like to share. Here’re a few drug-free alternatives, as recommended in the book, tried & tested by myself:
1. Mixing 1 tbs of psyllium husk in a glass of water on an empty stomach. I do that on most mornings. You can easily get psyllium husk from pharmacies or organic shops, they are not very expensive.
2. Getting a daily minimum of 5 servings of fruits and vegetables, 3 servings of whole-grain foods and 1 serving of beans. I normally eat almonds, pumpkin & sunflower seeds, lots of fruits and vege. I also make my own multi-grain and seeds bread every week.
3. Drink at least eight 8-ounce glasses of plain water a day. I drink way more than that.
4. Squeeze the juice of lemon into an 8-ounce glass of warm or hot water and drinking it first thing in the morning to help stimulate a bowel movement.
5. At least 30 mins of exercise daily.
6. Maintaining a regular routine & consistent time for elimination.
7. Break up the jam with colon massage. This is one new found method which really works for me. I do it almost everyday to break up the jam.
Lie on your back with your feet flat on the floor and your knees bent.
Beginning in the abdominal area on the right side just above your hip, use the fingertips of both hands to press as deeply as is comfy, then move your fingertips in a circular, massaging motion.
Continue upward just below your ribs. Then using the same pressing, circular motion, move across your abcomen just above your belly button. Continue to massage down to your left hip.
The book recommends doing the massage for 5 – 20 mins a day.
If there is bowel in your intestines, you can actually feel something hard inside while doing the massage. Normally when I can already feel them, within 5 – 10 mins, the bowel will get eliminated smoothly,without any pain or discomfort.
No. of times viewed = 323