I have to make a decision by this week on which high school to send Cass to next year. The high school that Cass wants to go to is the one that her Alycia che che goes to, which is one of the top Chinese Independent High Schools in the Klang Valley. Her main reason for choosing this school is because almost all her classmates will be going to this school (95%). The remaining 5% are going to international schools and national schools. Applications for entrance test to this Chinese independent school can be submitted online by early next week.
However, I have reservations in choosing this Chinese independent high school for Cass because I know this girl too well. Her Chinese is weak and her choice of language is English. She will thrive in an English medium education environment. Before our country was hit by the Covid-19 pandemic, I was almost 100% certain that I would be sending Cass to this small-sized international school located conveniently right smack in our neighborhood. But when our country came to an almost standstill on 18th March this year for two months, the hubs’ catering business was impacted. Social gatherings were prohibited, which meant that his catering business was reduced to zilch.
When the government recently reopened almost all the economic sectors, hubs’ catering events slowly trickled in again. It would take some time before his business returns to its heyday. Thus, we would have to reconsider our plans in sending Cass to an international school which costs almost RM2k a month. Things are so uncertain now without a Covid-19 vaccine. With almost every social and economic sector returning to normal now, our country could experience a new wave of Covid-19 cases, just like in Beijing, Tokyo and Australia, which are seeing a surge in new cases after the state of emergency/restrictions in their countries were lifted recently. If this happens, another lockdown would be imposed and the whole vicious cycle affecting our country’s economy will be repeated 😪. With so much uncertainties over our country’s economy and hubs’ business, I am taking the conservative approach and have made up my mind to send Cass to a national school — the one that Sherilyn is currently going to. I had a lengthy discussion with my education consultant, aka my wise mom who was a school teacher for almost 40 years and she has given me the same advice. I also had a brainstorming session with Alycia and Sherilyn over the choice of high school for their baby sister and they all think that a national school suits Cass more, for now.
Cass has now accepted our decisions for her and I hope that she’ll thrive and be really happy in the high school that she’ll be going to next year. I’ve been praying hard that she’ll be getting dedicated and caring teachers as well as cross paths with new good friends in this high school.
This morning I went to our favorite coffee shop to get takeaway fish paste noodles for Cass. When I got home and poured the noodles out from the stainless steel food carrier, I was stupefied. There was not a single piece of fish paste or ingredients in the container except for plain vermicelli and soup! The seller must have totally forgotten to add all the ingredients and fish paste into the food carrier. And I paid RM9 for it!! I quickly googled the name of the fish paste noodles and thank God I found the seller’s mobile phone. I gave him a call and I think he realized too that he’d forgotten to add in the fish paste into my food carrier. He promised me that he’d give me a rebate or give me extra fish paste the next time I patronize his stall.
My 3 perpetually hungry girls walloped all the noodles and soup anyway, though it’s vegetarian and without any ingredients, except for some tomato skin floating in the milky soup 😆. My girls are really pretty ‘cincai’ (simple) kids who don’t mind eating anything as their main meals, though their dad always spoils them with luxurious meals. They’ll be happy with just biscuits or bread for lunch or dinner when the mom is lazy to cook. I’ve always instilled a sense of humbleness, modesty and thriftiness in them so that they will be able to face the real harsh world when they’re completely on their own in future.
No. of times viewed = 41