On Saturday, I hurriedly left the house to bring Cass to Yamaha for piano lesson. Cass would normally remind me to bring along my mobile phone as I have a tendency to leave my phone behind. I am perpetually in a rush from one place to another, thus always leave my phone at home. I have since appointed Cass to be my personal reminder for me to bring along my phone and purse before I leave the house.
But on that particular day, Cass had forgotten to remind me. She was dawdling away at home, enjoying her freedom as her exam had just ended. Despite me hollering at her to dress up and go, she was taking her own sweet time, did her theory homework at the eleventh hour and other non important stuff.
About 20 minutes before we left the house, I put the kettle on the stove to boil water. I told myself that I HAD TO REMEMBER TO TURN OFF THE FIRE BEFORE GOING OUT but as I was busy rushing Cass to get ready and got myself ragged and frazzled nagging her, I buggered up. This is the second time I had left the kettle on the stove and left the house. How could I?!
Note to self ~ never ever do this again! NEVER. REMEMBER!! *pull my own ears to the sides*
While in the class, I realized that I had left the mobile phone at home. Without the phone to distract my mind, my mind wandered back home. Suddenly, I remembered that the kettle was still on the stove, with the fire ignited at max speed. Alycia was at the gym. Drama Queen was in the bathroom. Our dear part-time helper was cleaning the bedrooms and bathroom. Dang it. No one would realize the kettle whistling until the water inside evaporates to nothing, the kettle gets burnt and the smoke detector gets activated and the loud alarm beeps. And I had no phone to call home. I immediately said a prayer to Jesus to protect everyone at home, for Him to get the helper to turn off the fire and to not let a tragedy happen. Our part-time helper who is a very initiative maid often helps to turn off the fire on the stove when the kettle whistles. Drama Queen also helps to do the same IF she’s in the kitchen.
After piano class ended, I sped home and dashed right into the kitchen and guess what?
The kettle was still on the stove, the knob was still turned to the max level but there was NO FIRE on the stove. NO FIRE. NO GAS SMELL. The kettle was COLD.
I am 100% sure that I saw the fire when I ignited the stove.
How could this happen?
I asked our part-time helper if she had turned off the fire and she said NO.
I could only think of DIVINE INTERVENTION!
Thank you Jesus for your help once again!!
Cass, doing what she loves most ~ reading a novel and munching on an apple, on a lazy Saturday morning, after a stressful exam week.