The Story Of My Laproscopic Myomectomy Surgery

Hey folks, I am back home since yesterday!

I am sure many of you have been waiting to hear my story. It’s a long one, but I’ll try to make it as brief as best as I can.

Monday, 30 May 2017
Today is the day of my laproscopic myomectomy surgery by contained power morcellation. My surgeon is Dr Tan Ee Ping. You can check with Mr Google on what this surgery is. The surgery is scheduled for 4 p.m.

In the morning, my parents came to the hospital to accompany me, followed by the hubs and our 3 girls at 2 p.m.  Hubs had to wait for Drama Queen to come back from school at 1 p.m.

Moments before I am wheeled to the OT. – all my loved ones by my side. When there was nothing else to say, everyone was glued to their electrical gadgets.

At 3:45 p.m., my entire family walked with me till the door of the OT. When everyone started kissing and patting me, I felt like it was their last goodbye to me. I was overwhelmed by emotions and cried. The nurse who pushed the bed consoled me “this is not your first time ma, you already went thru 3 c-sections. You’ll be OK la”

The anesthetist came in at 4:30 p.m.  He first tried inserting the IV catheter on my left hand. He gave me a LA jab to numb the hand but that stinging jab was even more painful than the catheter itself!  But when he found out that the line wasn’t smooth after flushing some saline into the catheter to test it, he had to try my right hand.  Oh. My. Freaking. Gawd! Another round of torture.  Thank God, the line on the right hand was A-OK. That were 4 torturous pokes on my hands. The most anxious time came when the anesthetist brought the tube of whitish liquid that was the GA. I felt something cold going into my right hand, then felt dizzy and closed my eyes….zzzzzz.  I opened my eyes after I heard the anesthetist said “Shireen, surgery is over, wake up”  

Cass and my younger brother, Roy walking around the waiting area while waiting for me to come out from the OT.

When I came to, I saw the time as 6:30 p.m. on the big wall clock and I was in the recuperating bay. I was shivering uncontrollably as usual (side effects of GA). My throat was terribly sore and I felt like there was a clump of phlegm stuck in my throat.  The sore throat is caused by the oxygen tube inserted into my throat during the surgery. Surprisingly, I didn’t feel drowsy this time vs. the time I went in for an Ovarian Drilling laproscopic surgery to counter infertility in the year 2002.  I was very alert this time. I used my tongue to check all my teeth to ensure that they weren’t damaged by the oxygen tube. I tested my memory to see if I had lost a part of my grey matter. All was well as I could remember everything before the surgery. Then I heard my super anxious and ‘kan cheong‘ papa outside the OT asking “mana Shireen” and the OT staff replying him “uncle, dia di sana, tengok” 😁 He had barged into the OT recuperating area to check on me 💘

My loved ones kept checking on the Operation Schedule on the TV in the waiting room to see when my surgery will be completed.

After I was wheeled back to the room, everyone was in good spirits and relieved. Mum kept urging me to rest and sleep but I was not drowsy or sleepy at all.  In fact, I have been having insomnia since the day of pre-admission right until I came home. Even at home last night, I was not sleepy nor tired and had trouble falling asleep. It must be all the Izumio that I have been pumping into my body, giving me all the energy and mental alertness.

The pain I have is very much similar to my very first C-Section delivery but with a lesser pain intensity. There is a cut in the uterus to remove the fibroid and a suture too. I had pretty heavy bleeding immediately after the surgery and Dr Tan ordered the nurse to give me an anti-bleeding jab.  The jab gave me an instant nauseous feeling and I managed to suppress the feeling with lots of essential peppermint oil that I had brought along with me.

My very first ‘meal’ post-op was a few sips of Izumio.  About 2 hours later and with no nauseous feeling, I gulped down another packet of Izumio and a few sips of Milo.

Tuesday, 30 May 2017
Dr Tan came in to check on me at 10 a.m. today. She checked my wound and then told me that I could be discharged today! What, so soon?! I was totally stunned that she said that. Mum and dad wanted me to stay in the hospital for 1 more night to rest but I was reluctant and raring to be back to my home sweet home.

My girls surprised me with some gifts at the hospital when I was discharged. Cass had wanted to get me a stalk of flower since yesterday. Today, her dad ‘lent’ her some money to get me a stalk of daisy and some grapes from the gift shop at the hospital 💗😍

I thought that I could sleep to my heart’s content at the hospital but it’s the exact opposite. I was insomniac and still am insomniac. Izumio is indeed my power drink!!

Wednesday, 31 May 2017

The 3 holes on my abdomen, adding more scars to it.

I’d like to thank everyone  who have prayed for me. Thank you to those who messaged me privately to wish me best of luck for the surgery and to check on me after the surgery. I am indeed blessed 💓

No. of times viewed = 4

4 thoughts on “The Story Of My Laproscopic Myomectomy Surgery

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *